Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Freebie Happy Planner Stickers and My new Silhouette Cameo

Flowers used on these labels are
from the pixeledpaperdesigns available on etsy
 I am so over the moon happy!  I got a new Silhouette Cameo!  Now those of you who know me, know I have a Cricut Explore and love love love it.  

So why buy a Cameo?  I make scrapbook layouts alot and like making titles with shadows.  Plus, I love making planner stickers to share and lots of other "print then cut" designs to use as layout and card embellishments.  But my Cricut was falling a little short on these two fronts.  

But did these two "needs" actually justify spending over $250 on a new machine?  Well, a good friend of mine has a Cameo and shared it with me to play with.  I fell head over heels, but told her unless I could find one under $200 it was out of the questions.  Then, the very next day,  really, the very next day...HSN listed a cameo for $188.  It had to be a sign from Heaven, right?  So I now own my Cameo.  

Here's my take on the advantages and disadvantages of each of these two wonderful cutting machines:


Cricut Explore:

  • Makes deep cuts, letting you use a wide range of materials to cut. Cameo does not cut as deeply.
  • Design Space is a breeze to use.  Learning curve for first time users is short.  
  • It is internet only accessible, which can be limiting at crops or any place there is no internet access.
  • Cricut team is very energetic and friendly, offering great support if ever needed.
  • Faster and quieter than Cameo.
Artwork used on these stickers were from
graphic bundles from thehungryjpeg
and poppymoondesigns
  • Print then cut is easy to use, but eats up a lot of paper, because Cricut has print area limited to around 8" by 6", meaning you use waste about half a sheet of paper every time you cut.
  • Editing tools are somewhat limited.  Easy to use what is there, and easy for beginner or intermediate level crafters, but limiting for advanced editing.

Silhouette Cameo:  

  • Let's you create shadows or offsets very easily.  Cricut is working on this feature, but has been for quite a while.
  • Print then cut is very easy and lets you use almost all of a sheet of paper, including 81/2" by 11" and even up to 12" by 12".  I have a wide format printer so this is wonderful.
  • Editing tools are wonderful.  Instead of using other digital editing programs like Photoshop, I can do most of my creating and editing right on the Cameo design screen
  • With the upgrade to Designer Edition you can easily cut any SVG you upload and can even convert your work to rhinestone templates in a few very very easy steps.

The two set of Planner stickers I am showing here were cut on the Cameo.  The top one, pinks and aqua, was created in Photoshop Elements, then uploaded and cut with the Cameo.  The second set was created completely on the Cameo mat, using the Design screen.  OMGeeeeee, for me, this is a huge wow!  

Here are my planner layouts using these stickers...


Well, back to playing with my machines.
Have fun crafting!







P.S. here's the video I did showing these quick and easy planner stickers!



Molly 

(If you right click on the pictures of the stickers I made, you should be able to save and print for your own personal use.)





2 comments:

  1. I just found you blog on Pinterest. I love it! I had a circuit but sold it when I bought a Scan N Cut2. I haven't spent enuf time to learn it well but I sure hope I can. Thank you for sharing your Planner stickers. How can I learn to make these?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a great pleasure reading your post.Its full of information I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work. stickers singapore

    ReplyDelete